Training HAUS Speed Camp
On Thursday, October 21st, Training HAUS, powered by TCO, will host a Speed Camp at the TCO Sports Garden fieldhouse in Vadnais Heights.
This comprehensive speed camp will focus on teaching and improving acceleration, top speed, and change of direction capabilities for athletes’ grades 5+. Athletes will be placed in groups based on age and ability level, and drills will be modified by coaches accordingly. Each athlete will have the opportunity to be directly evaluated on their linear speed and change of direction abilities via 40-yard dash and pro agility testing.
*Note this Speed Camp will take place on the Thursday of MEA Weekend.
Who can attend?
- Athletes in 5th grade through 12th grade
- All skill and ability levels are welcome
What will be included in the Speed Camp?
- Dynamic Warm Up – Every successful training session begins with a comprehensive dynamic warm up to raise core and tissue temperature, increase range of motion, decrease risk of injury, and optimize performance.
- Acceleration – Acceleration is what creates separation, and helps athletes make plays. Successful Acceleration is dependent on both technical, and physical qualities, all of which will be touched on in this station.
- Top Speed – Top speed is steps 10+ in a sprint and provides a powerful stimulus for the entire neuromuscular system that is hard to otherwise achieve. Top speed mechanics are vastly different from acceleration; therefore, it is important to learn and practice both.
- Change of Direction/Agility – Being fast in a straight line is important, but so is being able to change directions, decelerate/reaccelerate, react, and make plays. Athletes will learn how to change directions efficiently and decelerate/accelerate effectively in and out of cuts.
- Testing – What can’t be measured can’t be managed. Testing of KPI’s (key performance indicators) is a crucial part of any performance enhancement program. Our 40-yard dash and pro agility testing will give athletes exposure to tests commonly used in combine/tryout environments, help them identify their strengths and weaknesses, and see where they stack up against their peers.
- Education/Evaluation – Film study and technical understanding is an important part of optimizing performance. Athletes will have the chance to be educated and evaluated by our expert coaches and ask questions about their outcomes.
- Nutrition – Our Sports Dietitians will share important details about how to properly fuel for and recovery from, high performance.
Who will be there?
James Warmuth, Strength and Performance Coach
- USATF LVL 1 Certified Track and Field Coach
- 11+ years of coaching experience
- Decathlete, Hurdler and Triple Jumper at University of Minnesota Duluth
- 7 Team USA Olympic Trials Qualifiers
- 15+ MSHSL Track and Field State Champions
Shannon Rainey, Strength and Performance Coach
- 2x HS All-State (100m & 4x100m relay)
- 4x MIAC Track and Field Conference Champions (2x 55m, 100m, 200m)
- 4x NCAA Div. lll Track and Field National Championships Qualifier (3x 4×100 relay, 100m)
- NCAA Div. III Track and Field All-American
- Mounds View High School Sprint Coach 2003-2009
- East Ridge High School Head Boys Track and Field Coach & Sprint Coach 2010-2019
- (80) Track & Field All-State Athletes
- (4) Individual & Relay State Champions
- MSHSL Boys Track & Field Team State Championship (2017)
Date: Thursday, October 21st
Time: 9:00 AM – Noon
Location: TCO Sports Garden | 1490 Co Rd E East, Vadnais Heights, MN 55110
Number of Athletes: 200 athletes (100 per age group)
Age: Grades 5th – 12th
*Registration will close on Wednesday, October 20 at 6:00 PM.
- Athletes will be required to wear masks per Ramsey County policy
- Athletes only, visitors will not be allowed to enter the building